We are currently seeking a Manufacturing Development Engineer – Food Packaging, who is looking for an exciting and challenging career with Infinite Sum – an employer that enables you to work in a flexible environment both in terms of geography and time.
The Manufacturing Development Engineer will work primarily on-site at the North American (USA and Canada) manufacturing sites of our clients and liaise closely with the Infinite Sum Supplier Development & Performance Management (SD&PM) Teams in Asia and South America. The role will be a key technical interface between our clients suppliers and our client own manufacturing sites and co-manufacturing sites on pro-active activities.
This interaction with our (SD&PM) teams and suppliers includes, but is not limited to, performing activities at the supplier and client manufacturing site to ensure a flawless launch of new products, assisting in the execution of supplier capability assessments, up-skilling suppliers, and leading specification alignment activities. In addition, the Manufacturing Development Engineer (Food Packaging) will interface with our cilents manufacturing plants and the relevant Infinite Sum client management team in North America to ensure overall project deliverables are achieved, including product trials and production ramp-up of new packaging introductions, as well as ongoing corrective action requirements.
The Manufacturing Development Engineer will be based in the mid west region of USA, located primarily at Infinite Sum client manufacturing plants.
What responsibilities will you have?
- Work closely with clients of Infinite Sum to ensure their technical and quality needs are met in terms of introducing new off shore and near shore suppliers of food packaging product used in the filing and packaging of food product at our clients sites and their co-manufacturer sites in Canada and USA.
- Act as the lead interface between our client manufacturing plants and Infinite Sum (SD&PM) teams in the development of supplier capability assessments for new and existing suppliers, to determine if gaps exist in multiple critical supplier categories (e.g. Mold Asset Management, Material Flow, Sub Supplier Management, Change Control, Visual Management, 5 Why’s, etc.) and then working with the Infinite Sum (SD&PM) teams in Asia and South America to up-skill the relevant suppliers to close those gaps.
- Accompany Infinite Sum Asia and South American (SD&PM) teams walk the lines at the manufacturing site of newly introduced suppliers and confirm in-process controls are in place, ensure that current client specifications / drawings are being used at supplier, verify the release equipment in supplier lab is the same as supplier qualification and equivalent to client lab, analyze supplier release test results for Normality, X-Bar Chart, Histogram, Control Limits, etc.) prior to and/or during supplier launch for supply.
- Partnering with Infinite Sum Global Procurement teams in North America to identify “high-risk” items / suppliers and then mitigating that risk (e.g. Supplier Capability Assessment, etc.) for client sites.
- Performing a gap analysis between specifications, methods, equipment, etc. at relevant suppliers vs. our client plants and then mitigate those gaps (e.g. Gage R&R, etc.) to pro-actively reduce future deviations, supply issues, etc. due to misalignment between our client and supplier.
- Partner with other SD&PM personnel (e.g. Manufacturing Systems, Quality, etc.) and other members of Infinite Sum teams to ensure effective management of our clients suppliers.
- Respond quickly to challenges and issues by identifying and documenting them. This includes ensuring resolution by using all appropriate available resources and by initiating timely actions.
- Ensure clear and appropriate communication is maintained throughout the sourcing project life cycle. All communication should be clear, concise and logical – regardless of the communication vehicle. Potentially, communication may be needed to change our clients position or to convince others and secure co-operation or ‘buy-in’.
- Build and maintain a strong rapport and on-going relationships with key individuals within Infinite Sum and our clients.
- Constructively challenge existing approaches, looking for opportunities to provide improvements that will lead to more effective and efficient ways of working not only in the delivery of opportunities or projects but all aspects of work.
Travel: 25-50% domestic travel is likely and 3-4 international trips a year.
Salary: Negotiable depending on experience
What skills & experience are we looking for?
- The ideal candidate will demonstrate a track record of success and experience that will enable them to;
- Show a minimum of 7 years of supplier implemention or supplier management projects involving suppliers of flexible packaging to manufacturers of food and / or drinks product within the the North American market.
- At least 3 years of external consulting experience or equivalent internal consulting project management experience.
- Must be located within the Mid West or West Coast areas of the United States, or be willing to relocate.
- Minimum BS in packaging engineering, materials science, or equivalent scientific field, but not necessary if candidate can show 10+ years relevant professional experience
- Proven ability to build, manage and foster a team-oriented environment.
- Proven ability to work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment
- Excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
- Excellent leadership and management skills
- Ability dealing with international based Infinite Sum sourcing and supplier management teams in Asia and South America.
Applicants for employment in the US must have work authorization that does not now or in the future require sponsorship of a visa for employment authorization in the United States and with Infinite Sum (i.e., H1-B visa, F-1 visa (OPT), TN visa or any other non-immigrant status).
- Although not a necessity, the ideal candidate will have a second language (example - Spanish or Mandarin).
What we can offer you
We will work with you to ensure you get an opportunity to work on project assignments that suit your personal and professional goals. Opportunity to work from home if wish, within a daily commute of a client location, or if you are adventurous after a period of time we can post you to an international assignment working in multicultural and dynamic teams both internally and at our client sites. Career development opportunities are offered at all of our international offices.
What are the next steps?
If this sounds like the ideal role, career and company for you, click below to apply.
ABOUT INFINITE SUM
Infinite Sum is a global management consulting firm made up of experienced business executives and consultants that deliver immediate and long-term solutions and real profit to our clients. Since 1993, we have been retained as consultants and trusted partners to many clients ranging from fortune 500s to some with revenues of less than $100m. We would encourage you to learn more about our company at www.infinitesum.com